Thursday, January 8, 2009

Type the Sky

I was disappointed to learn that JPG magazine is calling it quits. I will post a few of their useful hints and fun articles over the next few days and their days wind down. Sorry to see them go....

JPG Magazine -- Get it while it lasts!


Type the Sky
By lisa rienermann
31 July 2007

In 2005 I spend a semester abroad in Barcelona.


Standing in something like a little courtyard in Barcelona I looked up. I saw houses, the sky, clouds and a "Q". The negative space in-between the houses formed a letter.




I loved the idea of the sky as words, the negative being the positive. If I could find a "Q" other letters should be somewhere around the corner.

The following weeks, I kept running around looking up to the sky. Bit by bit I found all the letters of the alphabet.






The application of the alphabet is a booklet with a folded poster inside. While folding out the poster slowly some words show. You, at, me, look... "Will you look at me?", the poster or the sky ask you.



The answer comes with the last step of folding it out. "Will you look at me? Yeah!"



The Project was a free Semester-Project in Typography at the University of Essen.





It was awarded a certificate of typographic excellence by the Type Directors Club New York 2007.

No comments: