Thursday, March 29, 2012

Seven Things I Wish I’d Have Known When I First Became A Photographer

a good reflection by Scott. I think #2 and #3 are especially good advice.



Seven Things I Wish I’d Have Known When I First Became A Photographer

by scottbourne
 
2. Understanding how your camera REALLY works, as in every button, every switch, every menu and sub menu and sub, sub menu, will save your bacon over and over and over. The camera needs to be an extension of your eye - not something that gets between you and your subject. Learn how to use your camera and stop changing systems so often in the great hope that the NEXT big thing will make you better. It won't. Learning how to get 100% out of what you have right now WILL!
 
3. Speaking of gear, focus as little as you can on gear and as much as you can on your subject, their story and how you're going to share it. The "hey you take good pictures - you must have a good camera" line gets old. I guarantee you that it's not the camera that makes the shot - it's the photographer. It took me a VERY long time to figure this out. As a geek and a tech head I kept jumping into the science side of photography and the gear and the gadgets thinking THAT would save me. It didn't. It sent me backwards. I now realize the gear is nothing more than the hammer looking for a naill.

Read the whole list here: http://photofocus.com/2012/03/19/seven-things-i-wish-id-have-known-when-i-first-became-a-photographer/

No comments: