Sunday, March 18, 2012

Photographing a Sky Full of Stars

Photographing a Sky Full of Stars

by Kevin Adams

Many photographers, especially those who started out with film, don't realize just how easy it is to photograph the night sky. I remember well all those clear nights spent outdoors when I was shooting film. I'd gaze up at the night sky in awe of the view, but irritated that I could not photograph it. Sure, I could shoot star trails, but what I really wanted to do was take a picture of the sky full of stars as pinpoints of light, just like I saw with my eyes. If I tried shooting at ISOs of 1600 or higher with film, all I'd get is a bunch of grain. And when I first started shooting digitally, all the noise made the image look terrible. But with today's digital cameras and their low-noise sensors, we are finally was able to capture those awe-inspiring skies. We can have our night sky and photograph it, too!
 
  nyk2

Read the entire article here, along with some of his great night photos!

nyk2

No comments: