Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Tiff Options dialogue box

Digital Darkroom Questions (DDQ)

September 3, 2008

by Tim Grey

www.timgrey.comtim@timgrey.com

Books: www.timgrey.com/books/index.htmBlog: www.timgrey.com/blog

Off to Photoshop World
Today I'm heading off to Las Vegas for Photoshop World, where I'll be spending a couple of days making a series of presentations. So if you're going to be there, be sure to stop by and say hello. I have a session on building a photo website as part of the main session track, a couple sessions on advanced layer masking at the Microsoft Theater, a session on optimizing Windows Vista for Photoshop at the NAPP theater, and several others. (And yes, Deke, during my spare time I'll be working on the new Channels & Masks book).
I'll hope to see many of you at Photoshop World!

##########

What's with the Tiff Options dialogue box that pops up whenever saving out TIFFs? If I wanted compression I would have chosen JPG format! Is there a way to eliminate this pesky intruder? If not, is there any way we mortals can send a message to Adobe?

==========

The TIFF Options dialog box, as the name implies, provides you with a number of options related to how the TIFF file is actually saved. As helpful as this dialog box can be, I'll agree that it doesn't always feel exactly necessary. I too would prefer that Adobe just put these options into the Save As dialog box. Especially considering only half of the settings in this dialog box are really useful. The Image Compression setting is actually a good one. You reference JPEG images, but the LZW and ZIP (I only recommend LZW for compatibility reasons) are lossless. So you can significantly reduce your file size without impacting image quality at all. That's pretty cool. The other useful setting is Layer Compression, mostly because it provides a quick and easy way to save a flattened version of your image without taking the flattening step. Simply change the option to "Discard Layers and Save a Copy" if the image has layers, and you'll get a flattened result. Pretty handy.

I actually don't have any idea if there's a way to turn off the TIFF Options dialog box and simply apply the same defaults for all TIFF files you save. To my knowledge there isn't. But if anyone knows a way to do this, that means we've found a question I can't answer, making the first person with a solution an honorary success at "taking their best shot" with a question I can't answer. If that's the case, let me know, and you'll win a free copy of my latest book, Take Your Best Shot. Signed. With my heartfelt thanks. And humility.

As for feedback to Adobe, you most certainly can. Simply use the form found here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

##########
Support the DDQ E-mail Service
Contributions from readers like you are the only compensation for the time and effort that goes into producing this email service. You can help support this effort by becoming a contributor. Besides helping to ensure this service remains viable, you'll gain access to a searchable archive of all prior questions and have the opportunity to have your own questions considered for inclusion in the DDQ email. Details can be found here:www.timgrey.com/ddq/
The Fine Print

Please feel free to forward this e-mail message to any friends that may be interested, and recommend that they subscribe to the free service. All I ask is that you forward the message in its entirety.

Details on adding or removing an e-mail address can be found here:www.timgrey.com/ddq/
Contents of this e-mail are copyright by Tim Grey. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: