Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mark Johnson

Don’t have time or the budget for a class right now?
Then be sure to check out Mark’s Bookstore for the latest release of Mark’s dynamic eBook, The Photographer’s Photoshop CS4 Companion.

Here’s what sets my site apart. Photoshop is an amazing tool, but it can be challenging to learn. Despite the program’s complexity, I believe that learning it can be enjoyable and inspiring. For this to happen, I recognize that the learning process isn’t about me. After all, you, the audience, are why I’m here in the first place. Thank you for allowing me to share with you.
When I teach, I try my hardest to use easy-to-understand language and a conversational tone. When I make mistakes––and I often do––I’m not afraid to laugh at myself and move on. Learning is an ongoing process. We all go through it. I vividly recall how much I struggled to understand the concept of layer masking, even though it seems simple enough now. Fortunately, my passion and persistence motivated me to continue learning, even when I felt frustrated. The important part is that I didn’t let hurdles shut me down.
Creativity is also a process––and an immensely rewarding one at that. For me, creativity does not come naturally. It blossoms from a willingness to explore techniques and concepts that excite, or sometimes frighten me. I simply can’t imagine a life without creativity. I experience such a charge when a tiny idea evolves into an experience that results in a photograph that I can’t wait to share. This sort of passion and energy is what I hope to convey through everything that you encounter on this site.
Here are a few of the key features that can benefit you.
The Photoshop Workbench – Imagine sitting beside me as I use Photoshop to edit one of your images. This describes the Photoshop Workbench experience. Each week, I take an audience-submitted image on a creative journey. One week, I may discuss color correction, the next I may cover retouching, and the week after I may explore compositing. Each Workbench is unique and searchable via both title and keyword. Best of all, each one is free. I look forward to seeing an image submission from you, and even if you don’t have an image to submit you can still suggest a topic that you’d like to see revealed.
Video Tutorials – Like the Photoshop Workbench, these tutorials are designed to help you learn Photoshop. Unlike the Workbench, these tutorials focus on very specific, high-demand subjects such as basic Photoshop 101, Color Management, and Sharpening. All video tutorials are free of charge.
Bookstore – If you’re seeking more comprehensive information about being creative with both Photoshop and your camera, take a look at the books and eBooks in my Bookstore. By purchasing these, you help me to keep the Photoshop Workbench and Video Tutorial content free.
Workshops – If you’re thirsting for the next level of knowledge and inspiration, I’d be honored to see you at a workshop or class. To receive email updates about new workshops, don’t forget to join my mailing list.

Boulder Digital Arts Workshops -- These exceptional workshops take place in the BDA Studio nestled at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in gorgeous Boulder, Colorado. To learn more and to register, please visit Boulder Digital Arts and look for Mark’s course listings. Mark adds to his BDA class schedule throughout the year, so please check back often.

November 20: Embracing Your Creative Side Hands-On Intensive (full day)

Rocky Mountain School of Photography Workshops -- Mark’s Digital Process and Print Workshops take place in the RMSP digital labs in the heart of downtown Missoula, Montana. The labs are equipped with Macintosh and PC computers and Epson and Canon printers. For more information, please visit RMSP Workshops and click on the course title that interests you.

November 1 - 6: The Next Step: Color Correction and Advanced Image Editing

No comments: