Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Night Shift -- Photographing Owls and Bats

The Night Shift -- Photographing Owls and Bats
"I consider myself lucky to be a morning person because as a nature photographer I have to get up early to photograph the birds, mammals and landscapes that I love and catch that early morning light to create a beautiful image. I remember working on my second book, "Birds of Prey in the American West," where I had to shoot raptors in the morning and owls at night. I put in long days and nights to capture some of the most difficult to photograph bird species and I had only one nesting season to finish the book. It took me about four days to get used to shooting at night because normally my body shuts down like a bird that goes to roost when the sun goes down; that adjustment was not an easy one. It's too bad I didn't have a Photo Trap back then to work on owls at night flying into their nest sites. It was always a surprise to see what kind of food they would bring in to feed their young."

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/index.php/category-photographic-technique/41-photographic-tech%20nique/306-tom-vezo

Tom Vezo is a professional wildlife photographer and author based in Green Valley, Arizona. For more information go to www.tomvezo.com. For more information on the Photo Trap, go to www.Phototrap.com

No comments: