Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Invasive plant

From: http://scarthphoto.com/wordpress/

And interesting post about Garlic Mustard. I had a large one growing in my plant nursery (a little garden that I put my babies until they are large enough for the big garden). This monster showed up, kind of pretty with heart shpaed leaves and nice white flowers, but I just knew that it had to be a weed because it was waist high in my nursery garden. I inquired and was told to get it out and fast because they are toxic to other flowers and to trees.

OK, easy enough. Then I went out back a couple of days ago and there were hundreds of them! I have never had any before (we have lived here for 5 years) but I spend hours pulling them. And they are a plant that you do NOT compost, etc. "When Garlic Mustard is pulled it should be bagged and removed rather than left on the ground. Plants have enough energy stores to produce fruits and seeds even after they are pulled. "

So today I came across this great blog -- and there is Garlic Mustard -- a photo and a description.

May is the time of Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata). This invasive is coming into full bloom and those combatting it are out in force pulling it. Heavy infestations are a threat to the woodland flowers (including rare and special ones) so enjoyed by people and needed by insects in their life cycles. It degrades woodlands as wildlife habitats and may shade out tree and shrub seedlings as well as flowers.

No comments: