Friday, July 11, 2008

The Straight Scoop on Copyright, Model Releases & Shooting in Public

From Scott Kelby http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1645

Catch My Exclusive Interview with Attorney Ed Greenberg for the Straight Scoop on Copyright, Model Releases, and Shooting in Public

If you’ve been reading this blog for the past month or so, you’ve read my posts about photographers being harassed when shooting in public, and a lot of readers have chimed in with comments about what we can and can’t shoot, what our rights as photographers are and aren’t, our interpretations of copyright law, and so on. There’s just one problem; we’re not attorneys.

So, I contacted New York-based Intellectual Property Attorney Ed Greenberg, who’s a published author on the topic, and who has been dealing with photography copyright, contract, and creative rights issues for over 30 years, to finally get the straight no-nonsense scoop on all this.

Ed is absolutely brilliant; he communicates in Plain English (and with a great sense of humor as well), and he cuts through the bull and gets right to the point (which is why we now have Ed, and photography rights advocate Jack Reznicki, co-host a legal session for photographers at Photoshop World).

I had Ed as a call-in guest for next week’s episode of Photoshop User TV where I asked Ed to debunk some of the most widely held myths of copyright, model releases and shooting in public (the same topics we’ve been discussing here on the blog). Below are two video clips of the interview from next week’s show, approximately 10-minutes each, which represent some of the best, and most important information we’ve ever delivered in the history of the program.

The two clips, Part I and Part II, will air on next Monday’s show, but I wanted to run the interview here now, because I think you’ll find it as eye-opening, surprising, revealing, and as incredibly valuable as I did. This interview can change the way you work and protect your images in a very profound way, and that’s why I wanted to run it today, and during this entire fourth of July weekend, so you’d have a chance to really give it your undivided attention.
My thanks to Ed for being so gracious as to share his time and expertise with my readers here on the blog. I really hope you find this helpful. Also, thanks to my buddy Terry White, who came up with the idea to go straight to the source and really get to the heart of this matter.

http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/1645

No comments: