Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tim Grey is Leaving Microsoft...

Tim Grey is Leaving Microsoft...

This is from Tim's DDQ (well worth subscribing to). Tim, who used to teach with George Lepp, will also be at NECCC this year (http://www.neccc.org/)

Today is my last day as a Microsoft employee. I've spent three and a half years (literally to the day) of focusing on a full-time job at Microsoft serving as an advocate for professional and advanced amateur photographers. At the same time I continued to write books, teach workshops, and more on my own time. I've decided it is time to make a change and focus on my own work. Working at Microsoft was a great experience that taught me a great deal, but my stronger passion is around working on my own to help photographers make the most of digital tools in their photography and imaging.

Over the next few weeks I'll be working on getting caught up on my next couple books (you'll hear more about the latest books soon), and will then focus my energy on improving the quality of all my efforts, including this DDQ email newsletter, the Digital Darkroom Quarterly print newsletter, workshops, seminars, and lots more. Stay tuned!

You can read a bit more about this change in my latest blog entry at www.timgrey.com/blog/.

Q: I heard you're leaving your job at Microsoft. What are you going to be doing now?

You heard correctly--today is my last day as a Microsoft employee. I've decided it is time to focus my energy on my books, workshops, and other work that I'm so passionate about, and that I've continued to do "on the side" while still holding down a full-time job at Microsoft. So here's a look at a few of the things on my "to do" list over the next few months or so:
  • Preparing to announce a new book that I'm very excited about, and that I think you'll enjoy. It should be out very soon.
  • Finishing up work on a couple of other books that will be out before too long.
  • Focusing more energy on making my Digital Darkroom Quarterly print newsletter the best it can be.
  • Acting on my plans to create some new materials to help photographers make the most of Photoshop.
  • Putting more time into improving the Digital Darkroom Questions (DDQ) email service (that would be the email you're reading right now) much better.
  • Spending a lot more time on my bike as I train to participate in a 10-day cycling tour in Spain that will have me riding nearly 900 miles through the mountains of that beautiful country in September.
  • Getting all the recommended shots so I can make my first trip to Africa in October, where I'll speak at a photography conference in South Africa.
  • And a lot more!

No comments: