Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rescue of photos from CF cards, etc.

Yesterday I blogged about the updated photo receovery software. I received a few questions about this software and about data loss itself. I thought that I would comment here for all to see.

Please note that ANY storage is subject to a problem. For your hard drive the general consensus is not IF your hard drive will fail, but WHEN it will fail. Yes, memory cards can also fail.

I have had a couple of cards fail and I have also formatted over photographs that were not yet downloaded to my computer.

When we were on our honeymoon we somehow reformatted a CF card that had not been downloaded. Argh! But all was not lost. I was prepared for this!

How?

Well, I had practiced this scenario, at home, under no stress. I HIGHLY recommend that you run through the recovery process under non vasodilating conditions because when it happens your adrenaline will be running and it will be much easier to stay calm knowing that you know how to rescue.

So, if you reformat a card, or if a card fails -- stop. Do not take any more photos. Use the rescue software. I have tried three programs -- they are free and you buy them if they work for you (trial to see that they did indeed rescue your images). Sometimes one program works better than another. Try the one that is for your card type (Sandisk, Lexar, etc.) first (some come with your software for free).

Also note that CF cards also have a lifetime guarantee on them. I have used this twice, once for a Sandisk 512K card about 6 years ago and once this week for a 4 GB Sandisk card. Sandisk replaced the card both times free, including no shipping charges.

No comments: