Friday, April 17, 2009

Making sharp images of birds in flight

Taken from Robert@RobertOToolePhotography.com
Making sharp images of birds in flight

Sharpness is one of the main topics that I cover in my photography workshops. There are many factors that will effect sharpness but I teach that none is as important as a proper shutter speed. For the best and most consistently sharp images I teach workshop participants to use manual metering mode for consistency. Then when setting shutter speed and aperture I teach an unusual but extremely effective method. This is that you set your shutter speed and aperture as required first (in manual mode) then you use your ISO settings to give you the proper exposure based on the camera meter. Shutter speed requirements really depend on many factors but I recommend at least 1/1250th or a second for a Bald Eagle in flight and 1/1600 to 1/2000th as optimum. For a smaller flying bird such as a duck I recommend at least 1/2000 and up depending on the situation. There are many factors that effect sharpness but space is too limited here to go into more detail. Attending a workshop is the perfect place to learn and improve your photography since you have the chance to apply new techniques in the field and see the results right away. One of my main goals in leading workshops is for my participants to leave with new skills and fine tuned techniques for making consistently sharper images.

please send an Email or Phone: (+1) 310.619.8017 or visit my Website: RobertOToolePhotography.com for more information.

No comments: